Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Praying for Others--The Dad :-)

Hello again! Here's is the article written by Dad. :-) I've been waiting until I finished my post on Spiritual Disciplines, because I thought this corresponded well with it. I hope you enjoy it!

Praying for Others
by Charles (aka "The Dad")

Over the years I have been introduced to many formulas or tools to help improve my prayer life. A lot has helped me since my Roman Catholic days of praying through a rosary. Above all, a thorough knowledge of what the Scripture says about prayer has been life changing.

The acronym A.C.T.S. was my initial introduction as a true believer that taught me to pray (Adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and supplication).

The Lord’s prayer (sometimes called the disciple’s prayer) has also been useful not only as a prayer but especially as a pattern for prayer.

However, something that has helped me tremendously over the years to give me some satisfaction that I was praying for others in some systematic way on a regular basis (and not just when I thought about it) started with a lesson in the Daily Bread devotional guide.

The lesson was from a parent to a child using the hand as an object lesson in prayer. The thumb represented missionaries because it was so far away from the fingers. The index or pointing finger represented leaders who point the way, like kings, presidents, and various rulers. The middle finger represented our spiritual leaders because it was the tallest and they carry the largest load of responsibility for the Lord’s work. The weak or ring finger represented the sick and the helpless. Finally, the baby finger represented the little ones: the babies and the unborn.

Thus began an adventure which I passed on to my family over the years as we expanded this ‘formula’ and developed a weekly prayer list that looks like this:

Monday -pray for the Missionaries
Tuesday – pray for those that Tackle leadership issues (president, governor, mayor)
Wednesday – pray for the Warriors--pastors, Christian leaders, biblical counselors and Christian radio programs
Thursday – pray for The sick, the orphans [fatherless], the widows, the prisoners, the persecuted church
Friday – pray for Friends who are expecting, the unborn (the abortion issue), and mothers with little ones,
Saturday – pray for the Salvation of friends, co-workers, students, neighbors, family, and those associated with the church. Pray also for the Spiritual growth of Christians we know.
Sunday – pray for the Servicemen, the church Services, and the Schools. (includes teachers, Public, Private, Home Schoolers, College Students, and Christian Colleges)


This is something we do primarily as a family as we drive but is also encouraged in personal prayer time when we are not traveling together.

"Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you"
I Samuel. 12:23

No comments: