Monday, November 10, 2008

First Day of Work

Hello all! I know a few of you are curious about my first day of work. (mostly for the benefit of my family and friends. I figure the average reader who doesn't know me, is probably wondering why I'm doing this post... :-)) So, I thought I'd give you a little update. :-)

First of all, I survived! I am also very tired right now. :-) So if this sounds scattered or strange, you are warned! :-)

I worked from 9-4 and I work that same shift tomorrow, I don't know about the rest of the week yet. Mondays the "truck" comes in, so after I filled out paperwork and watched some videos for two hours, I helped open boxes and stock shelves. Mostly in the framing department.

I met a few of my co-workers but not many. I did not have to learn the register yet, which I think I'm glad about. It was a little awkward for me to have customers ask me questions, and I had to explain that I was new. :-) They seemed very understanding though, one gentleman thought it was funny that he got "the rookie" and informed his wife about how he always asks questions to the new workers. :-) She didn't seem as amused. :-) I was able to find other workers to help customers though.

Oh yes, some of you know that I have to wear a dress code for the job. This means khaki pants and black shirts. I haven't worn pants in a little over 10 years, so this is something of an adjustment for me. :-) I did survive in them, and it would be pretty impractical to wear a skirt, I was bending/squatting/on the floor so much it would have been awkward. I did learn that you can wear khaki skirts, something they didn't tell me at first. However, I think I will just stick with pants. :-)

Anyway, I think those are the highlights! Hopefully you enjoyed it! I'd appreciate your prayers as I continue to learn the job! Especially tomorrow, it is a holiday and I'm expecting it to be a little crazy. Have a great day!

2 comments:

me said...

Hi Amanda!
I'm glad to hear it went well at work today! I prayed for you!
I'm sure it will be a little overwhelming and tiring until you adjust and get comfortable with everything.Hope you rest well tonight! :)
Blessings,
Dea

AJSBookBlogger said...

Hi Dea!
Thank you for your prayers! I did rest well last night, I still feel sore from all the "manual labor" I did, hopefully I will get the kinks out after a couple of days of work. :-)
Have a great day!
Amanda :-)