Friday, October 24, 2008

2005 Lion, Witch, & Wardrobe movie vs. the book

Hello! I'm excited about showing you some of the differences between the book and the movie! However, at the same time, I don't exactly know the best way to go about it, since I've never done any movie vs. book comparison before. :-) So, before I get started, let me give you a little history... :-)

My family and I went to see the movie on, December 19, 2005. I had just finished one of the busiest/craziest times in my life, and it was quite a treat to be able to go and see this after weeks of hectic rushing around. :-) As a general rule, we don't go to movie theaters very often, primarily because they are expensive, secondly, there is usually not a lot of stuff out there that is worth seeing, and thirdly, we would just assume wait until it comes out on dvd. :-) So, we only go out about twice a year as a family, maybe more if my sister and I decide to do a splurging/sister treat thing. :-) (come to think of it, the last time I went to a movie was to see Prince Caspian in May, while we were on our family vacation...)

Anyway, I was very excited about Narnia coming out, I've mentioned before how I've loved Narnia for a long time, so knowing it was coming out, I was eagerly waiting for the time we could go see it. :-) I was not disappointed in the movie either, it probably rates as one of my all time favorite movies I've seen in the theatres. :-)

Although there are several places where the movie is different from the book, I feel that over all they did an excellent job with and managed to capture the essence of the story. Of course, I am also very critical when movies come out based on my favorite books. So, while I enjoy the movie a lot. I do wish they had left some things out and put different stuff in. Example, while the movie uses some of C.S. Lewis wording from the book, I wish they had put more of the exact dialogue from the book into the movie. I love how some of the characters talk to each other, and I wish more of that was included. However, maybe some allowances must be made for 21st century viewers, who perhaps, don't appreciate the language of the 1950s. :-) One other thing, I always pictured Susan and Peter a little younger than how they are portrayed in the movie. The book never says how old they are, so I guess it's up to the reader to decide. :-)

I do think they did an excellent job portraying Aslan's death though, probably one of the more powerful scenes in the book, and I think they did a great job capturing that in the movie. Okay, so, let's see, here we go, I am going to start doing the "real" comparisons now! :-) One other thing, I won't be pointing out all of the differences, just most or a lot, if I did them all, this post would never end! If you really want to know all the differences, you can watch and read it for yourself. :-) Actually, it might be a good school project for some of you. :-)

First of all the movie starts out a lot different from the book. In the book, we just learn that the children were "sent away from London during the war because of air-raids." (p. 1) In the beginning of the movie, they go into about 20-30 minutes of "extra" detail. showing airplanes, and the children and their mother rushing to get into a bomb shelter. However, I think it was good that they did this, I'm sure when the book was written the statement, "sent away from London during the war because of air-raids" meant a whole lot more to the readers in the 1950s than it does to readers today. So, actually portraying the intensity of that time in the film, helps readers/viewers better understand it. However, what I don't like is how Peter and Edmund begin having arguments so soon, in fact, the entire movie portrays the children as much more argumentative and angry than what actually happens in the book, in my opinion at least. :-) (and we never see the mother mentioned at all, no sad goodbyes, etc...all that was added. :-) )

I do love how they have some music from the 1940s when the kids start to play hide and go seek. I think it's the Andrew's Sisters, but I'm not positive, I thought it was another great way to incorporate the time era. :-)

There are several differences on how they actually have the children get into Narnia, example, they make it seem like Lucy originally started the game of hide and go seek, however, that wasn't the original intent of the book, but it works well for the movie. Then when she comes out and runs into the Professor, that is different, in the book, Peter and Susan go to the Professor on purpose out of concern, not because he "made them." (oh yeah, and it's really too bad they didn't have Edmund pretending to blow his nose to hide his laughter, that might be in the old movie, but I don't remember)

There is also an added emphasis of "family" in the movie that is not in the book, Peter seems weighed down with the responsibility of taking care of his siblings, the Professor informs them that "they are family, try acting like one." Also, once they are in Narnia, there are several episodes of talking about their "Mum" and how at certain points Peter and Susan think they should go back. If you remember, most of the time while in Narnia, the characters have a tendency to forget about their "old" lives and just enjoy the time while they are there. So, I'm not sure the movie really needed to add that, but in general, it seems to work well.

Then there is Lucy meeting Mr. Tumnus, they did a good job of getting the "gist" of it, but I still wish they had included more exact dialogue, after all, it's hilarious to read! :-) The part in the movie where Aslan roars in the fire at Mr. Tumnus house is added, but I think it was a good addition. :-)

Let's see, oh yes, the part where they break the window and all hide in the closet, was added, but probably that was a good addition too, since it might have been confusing to try to explain the "tours" of the house. Also, they make the scene with Peter yelling at Edmund for lying to them, more intense than what it was in the book.

Another minor detail, I believe they changed the main "police wolf" name than what was in the book. We also have Susan much more "logical" and nervous in the movie, than how she is portrayed in the book. You always get the impression in the movie that she wants to go home, and with the exception of one part in the book, you never get that impression from reading.

I thought they did a good job with the beavers though, very funny. :-) However, the whole intense scene where the wolves chase the children and beavers from the house and go into the tunnel, all of this was added. After all, in the book, as soon as the realize Edmund is gone, they immediately start packing to head to the Stone Table, there is no going after Edmund and no "run for your lives the wolves are right on top of us" feeling in the book. :-) Also, Mr. Fox was added, but I like him, so I won't complain about that. :-) Then, when Edmund is in "prison" at the Witch's house and finds Mr. Tumnus in prison too, all of that is added, the whole conversation with the bread etc.

When Father Christmas gives the children their gifts, first of all the beavers got gifts too, which is left out in the movie, and secondly, they have Lucy get her gifts first and in reality, Peter is given his first. Actually, this seems to happen frequently in the book, Lucy is given things first but in the book, it is always Peter who is given them first. Also, when Father Christmas gives the girl's their gifts, he emphasizes the fact that they are not to fight in battle. This doesn't come across as much in the movie. (I suspect our "feministic" society/culture had something to do with the lack of emphasis there) Also, the whole "river scene" where the children and beavers are running on the frozen ice, all that is much more intense and added from what is actually in the book.

Let's see, what else. :-) How Edmund is taken away by the good Narnia animals is different from the book, they leave out the fact that the Witch turned herself and her cohorts invisible, by looking like a tree stump.

Aslan admonishing Peter to "clean his sword" is in the movie, but it does not portray the sense of shame and embarrassment Peter feels at his neglect of this duty, you feel his embarrassment more when you read the book. Again, I don't know if this has something to do with 21st viewers and the fact that it might not carry the same weight it did in the 1950s. Aslo, another thought on Peter, the movie constantly gives you the impression that he is insecure, can't imagine leading a battle, doesn't want to, all the conversations/taunts he gets from the wolf, etc. You never get this idea from the book. In fact, they completely leave out the part where Aslan gives Peter battle instructions. Again, maybe they did this for the benefit of viewers today, and we could relate to his struggle better. I'm not sure. :-) However, even though it works well for the movie, part of me wishes they didn't portray Peter like that, but, oh well. :-)

Also, in the book Edmund apologizes to his siblings, but you don't hear him actually say that in the movie. Also, the scene where the children are "practicing" with their swords, etc. isn't in the book, but it's a good addition. :-)

When the White Witch comes to demand Edmund back, the movie doesn't quite portray her the same way the book does. In the book she can barely look Aslan in the eye, and when she is done, she runs for her life, doesn't "sit" down in her chair. They also added several lines for the Witch that you don't find in the book.

Again, I do think they did a great job with portraying Aslan's death, I do wish they had included the "romp" the girls have with him in the book though. That's fun. I think the old one did that, but I can't remember. :-) Also, the strange, "whispering tree things" aren't in the book. They also leave out some of the fun scenes/conversations Aslan has when he changes all the stone animals back to life.

Okay, now for the battle scene. Right, ahem, well first of all, let me preface any further statements by the fact that I am not the kind of person who likes big, huge, dramatic battle scenes. :-) (one reason I don't care for the Lord of the Rings movies) So be forewarned! The battle, in the movie is portrayed as huge, I mean really, the book only has 4-6 pages maximum dedicated to the details of the battle! But, movie viewers these days like intense and dramatic battle scenes, so... :-)

One general/character in the movie tells Peter before the battle: "Numbers do not win a battle" and Peter replies: "No, but they help." :-) I enjoy that, even though it's not in the book. Oh, and Peter NEVER tells Edmund to leave the battle, in fact, they leave out the part where Peter is praising Edmund's courage to Aslan.

Also, the movie also doesn't have Aslan telling Lucy to stop helping Edmund and start helping the others that are wounded. That is a pretty significant part of the book, and it's sort of annoying how they made it seem like she thought of it herself.

At the end of the movie they have Mr. Tumnus telling Lucy that Aslan is not a "Tame Lion" in the book, it is Mr. Beaver telling all four of the children that.

Then the movie leaves out the hilarious dialogue of when the children are older and hunting for the white stag! But then again, half the viewers today would probably find it weird. :-) They still get the point across in the movie though.

Finally, when they all tumble out of the closet, rather than giving the children a chance to explain what happens to the Professor, the Professor walks in and they talk then. I also wish they had allowed the Professor to quote directly his last lines from the book, I think they're good. :-)

Anyway, so there are a few differences from the movie version with the book! Hope you enjoyed and were surprised by them! :-) Again, even though I mention a lot of the changes they made, I still like the movie. Overall it's good, just not exactly like the book. However, it has been said:

"Never judge a book by its movie." ~J.W. Eagan

A good thing to keep in mind while watching movie productions of books! :-) Have a great day and look for discussion questions soon!

No comments: