Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life--Donald Whitney (Preview)


Hello all! Well, here is a partial review! I am still working on the next Narnia book, but in the mean time, I thought I'd do this as a "filler." :-) I got this book at the New Attitude conference I attended in May. (I'm sure you're getting tired of hearing about that... :-) )
Our Pastor, who took a group of us down there, and informed us that we all had to buy some books. :-) So, being the picky person that I am about how I spend my money, it took me awhile to determine what to get. I finally made a decision and one of the books I came away with was this one! I highly recommend it! I read it in June, and I'm looking forward to doing several posts about it! :-)


Title: Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
Author: Donald S. Whitney
Published: 1991 by NavPress
Background Information: Donald Whitney is the associate professor of spiritual formation at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminar in Kansas City Missouri. He is the best-selling author of Simplify Your Spiritual Life, Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, and How Can I be Sure I'm a Christian? (all that was taken from the back the book)

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life...

Emphasis is my own.

The foreword is written by J.I. Packer, he has several interesting things to say, and I'll just quote a few of them. His suggestion in reading the book is:

"....I can go on record as urging all Christians to read what Don Whitney has written; indeed, to read it three times over, with a month's interval (certainly not less, and ideally, I think, not more) between each reading. This will not only make the book sink in, but will also give you a realistic picture of your seriousness, or lack of it, as Jesus' disciple." (p. 9)

Packer writes some more and then concludes with:

"If then, as a Christian you want to be really real with your God, moving beyond the stage of playing games with yourself and Him, this book provides practical help." (p. 10)

In the Acknowledgments, Whitney thanks some contemporary people, but he also says:

"Thanks to the Puritans. Today they are often maligned by Christians and non Christians alike, who often know little or nothing about them. Our stereotyped perceptions of them reveal a lack of awareness of their profound contribution to spirituality and Godly living. They are spiritual giants on whose shoulders I stand. Thanks to Jonathan Edwards, C.H. Spurgeon, and Martyn Lloyd Jones. My life and ministry are immeasurably because of theirs." (p. 11)

I thought that was neat! :-)

Well, I was planning on reviewing chapter 1 today, but I think I will hold off for another day. Maybe tomorrow or another day this week! I won't be posting the whole book in consecutive order, but will be doing it sporadically for the most part.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Doug said...

So are you going to be giving quotes from the book? Or are you going to review it?

AJSBookBlogger said...

I will be doing my usual type of review. :-) Will be summarizing and pulling out some quotes too.
:-) Do you have a preference? :-) However, I might just do one chapter at a time, and maybe just a chapter a week. So, it could be awhile until it's finished. :-)
(the book has about 12 chapters) Anyway, long explanation!

Amanda :-)

Doug said...

I was just curios because of how you phrased things. It's your blog, so whatever way you do it is fine by me. :-)