Sunday, October 12, 2008

Discussion Questions on The Magician's Nephew

I'd love to hear from those of you who have read "The Magician's Nephew" Or, if you haven't read it, let me know your thoughts on the review. Here are a few questions and thoughts of my own to get you started!

Do you have a favorite part or quote in the book?
Who is your favorite character, and why?
What do you like or dislike about the book?
Do you disagree with anything in there?
What do you think of talking animals and the whole "fantasy" idea? Does it weird you out? Or do you enjoy reading things like that? Explain your reasoning. :-)
What do you think of Digory and Polly playing on their own, with very little adult supervision? Did this strike you as odd, or since it's a book, and characters always do "strange" things, did it seem normal?
What stands out to you that seems like the book was written in the 1950s and not in recent years? Did any of the English terminology confuse you?
Do you like the writing style of the book?
What do you think of Queen Jadis and Uncle Andrew? Does their behavior bother you? What specifically bothers you about them, and why?
What do you think of Digory's statement: "Girls never want know anything but gossip and rot about people getting engaged" (p 50.) Do you think there is any truth to that? If so, how should you fix it? :-)
What do you think of Queen Jadis's view of her "leadership" (so to speak)? "I was the Queen. They were all my people. What else were they there for but to do my will." (p.61)

When I re-read the book, I wondered, if C.S. Lewis thought of World War II at all. Remember, WWII had ended several years before the book was written.

Do you think Lewis had any of the evil leaders in mind when he was writing about Jadis?
(just some new rambling thoughts of my own I thought I'd throw out for you to consider) :-)

Do you leaders today think that about people? ("What else were they there for but to do my will")

Do you see any Biblical analogies in the book? (not perfect ones of course, but maybe one or two that seem familiar)

Any other thoughts or comments?

Well, I have a lot more discussion questions that usual, hope it gets you thinking! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

No comments: